Described by the UK Bookseller as “the ultimate hybrid company”, The Curved House is a creative and energetic publishing and production business based in Berlin. We design and produce books, websites and multimedia for publishers and authors (mainly UK-based) and we run highly sought-after web and social media trainings for authors in collaboration with organisations like the Society of Authors and The Literary Consultancy. We also publish our own books under the Curved House Kids imprint and run the not-for-profit online anthology, Visual Verse.
We are seeking an exceptional Publishing Assistant to work 3-4 days per week alongside the Publisher in our Berlin office.
You will be assisting in three key areas of our work: production/design, marketing and sales. This is a dynamic role and requires someone who is reliable and organised, but also creative and imaginative. An interest in design and a flair for social media are a must. This role would suit someone who is drawn to the creative side of publishing (design, production, marketing) and who is excited by working for a small company that can offer experience across the entire publishing process.
- Offer administrative support to the Publisher in all aspects of our work – particularly project work, marketing and sales
- Manage your own publishing projects (books, websites and videos) including managing budgets and liaising directly with clients
- Liaise with key suppliers including editors, designers, typesetters, printers and web developers
- Assist with the organisation and running of events
- Run the social media accounts for The Curved House and Curved House Kids
- Be responsible for editing and updating our websites
- Fulfill orders from our shop: www.curvedhouseeditions.com
- Create sales and marketing materials such as flyers, postcards and posters
- Assist with researching and writing proposals and funding applications
The successful candidate will:
- Have a minimum of 2 years publishing or bookselling experience
- Have an innate understanding of high quality design (practical design skills would be a distinct advantage)
- Be passionate about books and literacy
- Demonstrate excellent computer skills and the ability to learn new programmes quickly
- Be social media savvy and undaunted by running multiple SM accounts on multiple platforms
- Have impeccable written and spoken English language skills (German an advantage)
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Be thoughtful, friendly and a great communicator across all mediums
- Be a self-starter who can work independently and set own goals
- Be enthusiastic about working for a young publishing start-up
- Be looking to develop a career in publishing
Note: Applicants must be legally permitted to work in German and/or the EU for a minimum of 12 months.
If this sounds like you, and the idea of working for a growing publishing company excites you, then please apply in writing to email@example.com with a CV and a covering letter explaining why you are right for this position. Please include details of your current salary and notice period in your covering letter.
The closing date for applications is 5pm GMT, Friday 18th April
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted on Monday 21st April
Interviews will take place on Wednesday 23rd April
The successful applicant will be required to start no later than Monday 26th May